Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:44:04 +1000
From:      David L <dlodeiro@inspired.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hello!

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:40 am, JGrunberg@aol.com wrote:
>   Hello, my name is Erik and I have a great love for alternative OS's, and
> I just want to comment on FreeBSD 5.0 and how I like it so far. Ever since
> I got FreeBSD 4.4(sometime ago?!), I have had reccuring problems with some
> parts of the installation. As far as the main installation goes, that is
> working GREAT! But, with the KDE desktop and the X server, I cannot get a
> perfect 100% install of the x server. My current monitor is a Gateway 2000
> Vivitron, I believe its a 17 inch monitor.. I inputed the correct Vertical
> and Horizontal frequencies as well as the correct video card I have, but
> for some reason X server does not provide a signature file for ATI RAGE
> FURY PRO 32 MB video card. What to do!??!? I donnot want to blow my monitor
> or card!! Also, I have a sound blaster 16 PCI card(PNP), and even 5.0
> FreeBSD still reports it as UNKNOWN DEVICE.. What can I do to resolve these
> errors so that I can migrate 100% over to FreeBSD and abandon Winblowz by
> Microsoft??
>
> "A concerned FreeBSD user"
>
> Erik
Hi,

	Firstly, soundcards need to be compiled into the kernel, there not there by
default.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

This section of the handbook goes through setting up a soundcard on freebsd.
Basically you add a line into your kernel configuration file, in the case of
your sound card

device  pcm

and recompile the kernel. That simple, just make sure you read the handbook
section.

With reguards to your video problems, you really need to provide more
information. usually

- what you see
- paste the contents of /etc/X11/XF86Config
- paste the contents of /var/log/XFree86.0.log

and this should help in you getting  a answer.

David L