Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:10:36 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>, Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdg.de>, Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 PR is not very good...

Michael Lucas wrote:
> It might be.  You may have to configure your workstation's sendmail(8)
> to relay through your ISP's mail exchanger.

This doesn't work for "pan-ISPs".

My ISP was Primenet, which got bought by Global Crossing, when
they were flush with cash from the idea that someone else would
build "the last mile", and everyone would need big pipes.  When
this idea was proven stupid by no one building "the last mile",
then they sold all their dialup customers to EarthLink, to get
another round of funding.  Then they promptly went bankrupt.

EarthLink is a "pan-ISP".  Basically, they buy up tons of other
ISPs, and integrate dialup customers ("Congradulations!  You've
won a '2' on the end of your login name!").  They make them
direct their email through SMTP relay servers, which relay by
IP address, rather than some other method.  And they are not too
particular about using their "major" domain names as a second
index dimension on account namespace.  So now I am an EarthLink
customer with a Mindspring address.

So I relay my outbound email from my "Mindspring" address through
an "EarthLink" SMTP relay server.

And the PR email is rejected, because some moron decided that the
email address domain name has to match the relay server domain
name.

A noticible reduction in PR's... not because of increased code
quality, but because of decreased ability to send  PR's.  And
of course, it's only going to get worse, as the competing ISP's
whittle the market down to "The Big Three", and we end up with
only a small number of real pan-ISP's controlling the dialup
market.

-- Terry