Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 13:46:33 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Nick Hibma' <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FTP passive mode - a new default?

	[ML]  same speed.  passive means that the client (and not the
server) opens the data connection.  advantageous for people sitting
behind packet or nat firewalls.

> - any (windows) tools not supporting it?
	[ML]  this is an ftp client request.  some ancient ftp servers
may not support passive data connections, but I haven't seen one of
those in a long while.  I don't know whether the windows ftpd is
incapable of passive mode.  actually, if the passive mode default is
implemented correctly, the client should send PASV and if the server
accepts it proceed, otherwise remain in active mode (and if you are
behind a nat or a firewall you are no worse off than you already were).

	/Marino