Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:08:42 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, docs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upcoming 4.7-RELEASE: unresolved issue

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 08:51:22AM -0400, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> I somewhat disagree with this as a bug.

May be so. Anyway, ethernet was not mandatory in 4.4-RELEASE for
pure PPP operations.

> AFAIK, "ether" is the base Ethernet
> subsystem, and it has always been needed for DUMMYNET,

No. I used my home dialup machine with DUMMYNET from 3.2-R to 4.4-R
without ether in my kernel. I do not insist that this dependancy
must be removed but it must be documented at least.

> as well as for PPP
> (and most other networking). As a matter of fact, DUMMYNET also depends on
> most of the IPFW firewall code being in, too.

It needs IPFW for sure but it did not need ether.

> A system without the ether pseudo-device is pretty useless, networking wise.

Think of PPP-only networking.

Eugene Grosbein