Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:09:38 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 10:09:41AM +0000, Sabre wrote:

> IBM is doing a project with the Linux community on getting journal'ed
> file systems, so I presume some of that will spill over to the BSD
> community.

From what I've read (but don't remember where exactly it was), IBM is
planning to make the sources for the OS/2 file system available for the
public and is porting it to Linux. Unfortunately, I don't know what is
included in this code and how much from JFS (the AIX Journaled File
System) is inside of it.

I found it to be a totally new experience to enlarge partitions or change
volume groups and more more or less on the fly on a running machine :-)
(You can even plug-in another SCSI disk, add and configure it and -
use it, without reboot. That Logical Volume Manager _is_ nice!)

From what I heard, such functionality is currently in development for
Linux - anybody who can tell more?

Regards,

Martin
--
      ,,Oh, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
                  you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't