Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Hector <hector@unlser1.unl.csi.cuny.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS resolving by internal network

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Hector wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE box w/2 NICs setup as a gateway and an
> internal LAN.  I have IPFilter setup already.
> All my internal machines have static IPs and the default gateway as the
> 2nd NIC of my FreeBSD box.
>
> How do I get them to use the DNS servers given by my ISP?

Just like you do for a host on a public network.  Give the internal
machines the public IP of your ISP's DNS server.  Any DNS request will
need to get out to the public.  This request will just get sent to the
default route which, as you stated, is the 2nd NIC on your FreeBSD box.
It's not really any different then running any other connection through
the gateway from the private network.

I presume your filtering allows DNS.

The other fellow said something about DHCP and DNS settings.  I can't
comment on how that works.  I have seen these settings on a DSL router but
I never used them.  You said you are running static so I hope my answer
applies.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells