Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:39:03 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP problem

"Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
> A friend of mine has the following problem: when trying a telnet to
> a (certain?) remote host, FreeBSD takes almost three minutes, while
> a NT from the same subnet takes less than thirty. If this problem
> cannot be solved, there is a great chance of FreeBSD being dumped in
> this place.

Assume you mean 30 seconds on the NT box, not 30 minutes. Even so, 30
seconds strikes me as too long to set up a telnet connection over any
slow link. Guess if you find that problem you'll fix the problem with
FreeBSD too.

Mentioned this in a reply several weeks ago but in my early days with
FreeBSD I was installing everything that was offered. So on installation
when it offered Kerberos, I accepted. Didn't have a Kerberos server so a
telnet connection took a couple of minutes to timeout before falling
back to the "normal" way. Believe it at least printed an error message
saying that was what was happening. Finally in frustration I used the
Universal Windows Repair Tool (tm), FDISK.EXE. Didn't make the same
mistake on reinstallation of FreeBSD.