Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:28:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Help with two things, please...

On 12-Jun-98 Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> Hi, I need help with two problems (one advanced, one sort of newbie-ish).
> If anyone has encountered these before, please post the answer to the
> mailing list (or send directly to me at fewtch@serv.net).  I would really
> appreciate the help.
>
> (1) I'm trying to network my Win95 PC to FreeBSD on another PC via Ethernet
> (works just fine Win95 to Win95 so it's not hardware related).  I've tried
> both basic TCP/IP and IPX on the Win95 machine (enabled/set up in rc.conf
> on the BSD machine, of course).  The packets are getting received on the
> FreeBSD machine, but I get "Socket : Protocol not supported" messages and
> nothing else happens.  I tried to connect via anonymous FTP to the FreeBSD
> machine, and the socket connected, but then it just sits there and does
> nothing forever - no welcome message, nothing (I'm sure I set it up right).
>  Yes, I set "TCP Extensions = YES" in rc.conf.  Doesn't help.

Show the ifconfig-part of /etc/rc.conf
If you do not need IPX for anything else, go with TCP/IP and un-bind it from
your NIC under Win95. Better remove IPX at all from your Win95.

> (2) I can't get any of the X clients but the default to work.  Anything
> else (fvwm95, Enlightenment, Qvwm, etc) simply say "Can't open display" and
> terminate with no further messages.  I've tried everything I can think of.
> Any hints?

What do you mean by "default client" ?
For a quick-check type "xhost +" in a xterm and try fvwm95, ...
Report the results.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>