Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 19:01:43 -0700
From:      Dieter Dworkin Muller <dworkin@village.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE bad block handling in FreeBSD 1.1.5

What is the true state of affairs for bad block handling on IDE disks
in 1.1.5?  The bad144 and badsect man pages talk about various DEC
drives, which I have, but not on my FreeBSD system ;-)

The symptom I'm seeing is the system locking up in a relatively tight
loop, repeatedly complaining about a timeout or error (it varies) from
one of the disks (wd0 and wd1).  Once this happens, nothing short of a
reset will get it back.  It looks like it's hitting a bad block, and
refusing to believe it's bad.  All kernel-based things seem to work,
but nothing happens at user level (i.e., telnet gets a connection, but
no prompt, caps lock light toggles, ping works, stuff like that).

FWIW, I first saw this problem whenever I tried to use anything
connected to an Ultrastor SCSI board while running off of the built-in
IDE controller (it's a Packard Bell, and yes, I know better now).
Once I took the Ultrastor out, the problem went away until about a
month ago.  Nothing's changed in the hardware config in at least four
months, and it's been stable for at least eight months.

Of course, since I have to use reset, I don't get anything useful in
terms of log messages.  Any suggestions would be welcome, although
upgrading to 2.x would be less so (other than for this occasional
difficulty, it's a stable production system).

Thanks.

	Dworkin