Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:17:04 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ICQ with NAT problems

Andreas Ntaflos wrote:

 > Forwarding a different range of ports doesnt seem to work without
 > problems either... When I use LICQ on the gateway/nat machine
 > and forward for example ports 30000 - 30009 to the internal inter-
 > face/ip-address of the gatewy/nat machine, file transfers seem to
 > work.
 >
 > But forwarding for example the port range of 30011 - 30019 to
 > an internal machine behind the gateway/nat machine, file transfers
 > wont work correctly (ICQ with win2k)... The request comes in
 > ("Incoming file transfer") but then it just says "listening" and the
 > sender gets the error message "can't establish direct connection".

Hmmm I have had this working fine, maybe try giving it a larger port
range or something, it seems to like to use a lot of ports...

On a different topic, what is the default time that NAT keeps a UDP
socket open in its table? It should be possible to get ICQ to keep
the connection alive by specifing a shorter timeout period...