Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:59:46 -0400
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Arch <arch@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>, Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
Subject:   Re: On errno

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> (from Thu, 02 Apr 2009
> 06:51:56 +0000):
>
>> In message <20090402084616.19846py8s75ogp44@webmail.leidinger.net>,
>> Alexander Leidinger writes:
>>
>>> I agree with your general opinion about i18n and think that it is not
>>> a matter of workforce, it's a matter of feasability. As soon as we
>>> have the infrastructure, translations will show up "soonish". It's not
>>> "if", it's "when".
>>
>> And once the novelty has worn off, we are left, as so many other
>> operating systems, with at best 70% translation into each language.
>
> If I adapt your reasoning to our docs, we need to delete all our
> translations and only keep the english one.

Look at the subject: wasn't this (really clearly) a discussion of error strings,
and not strings in general?  Aren't there always error codes available in number
form, so that any user could easily translate to their own language choice, even
if it's unique, or even composed of bits and pieces of 5 different languages?
Using numbers allows great flexibility, using strings just complicates things
mightily.

Some of the stuff I've read, about supplying error subcodes makes sense, but
trying to extend this argument to *all* strings is outside the pale of the
argument, isn't it?  Besides, application translations is already being done
pretty well, KDE is an example of that, and that's a long way from dealing with
our kernel.