Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:45:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephane Eranian <eranian@cello.hpl.hp.com>
To:        marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loosing socket options on new connections...

> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Stephane Eranian wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently notice that when you get a new connection on a listen
> > socket the flags for the "master socket" simply vanish from the cloned
> > socket (service socket). This is really annoying for flags like
> > TCP_NODELAY, ie TF_NODELAY (ie user-settable flags via setsockopt()).
>
> The traditional behaviour (not just FreeBSD) has been that only SO_DEBUG,
> SO_DONTROUTE, SO_KEEPALIVE, SO_LINGER, SO_OOBINLINE, SO_RCVBUF and
> SO_SNDBUF are inherited.
>
> A program shouldn't expect others to be inherited, although this is
> somewhat ill-defined by the specs.

I don't think it is really the good behavior or you have many bogus Oses
out there: like Linux, HPUX9/10/11 ... (not to say that they are the best, but).

By the way, what is the specs you refering to ?

| Ste'phane ERANIAN                       | Email eranian@hpl.hp.com |
| Hewlett-Packard Laboratories            |                          |
| 1501, Page Mill Road MS 1U-15           |                          |
| Palo  Alto, CA 94303-096                |                          |
| USA                                     |                          |
| Tel : (650) 857-7174                    |                          |
| Fax : (650) 857-5548                    |                          |