Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:24:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   printcap question

I realize that there's probably a more appropriate place for this
question, but I can't find it.

How do you combine input filters and remote printers?  I've heard that if
you use an rm field in your printcap, that filters are ignored.  This is
the way my installation is behaving (2.1R).

Problem is, my printer is an HP4+ with a JetDirect card, so it can't do
its own printer filters.  Right now, I'm handling this by having the
input filter pipe data to lpr with a seperate queue set up to send the
data to the remote printer.

Is there a nicer way to do this?  Either by using a printcap field that
stuffs the data into another queue rather than forcing the filter to do
it, or by letting me use filters and remote printers in the same definition.