Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:19:57 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        Jan Erling Staff <jes@kampsax.dtu.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sb 128 pci has a strange behaviour.

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 01:24:38PM +0100, Jan Erling Staff wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just got myself an sb 128 pci sound card. However, it is a little
> strange. If I just boot FreeBSD, the sound is very noisy, and it is as if
> the sound is played slowly. However, if I first boot a linux disk, inserts
> the correct module there, turn off the computer and boot FreeBSD, it works
> fine (in FreeBSD).
> But I usually turn my computer off at night, and when I turn it back on
> the next day, there are the same sound problems, and I have to do the
> trick with Linux once again.
> I have compiled the kernel with the line
> device pcm
> and the output from /dev/sndstat is the same no mather if the card is ok
> or not:
> [jes@bsd ~]$ cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Feb  1 2001 14:45:41
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xec00 irq 10 (1p/1r channels duplex)
>
> Has anyone got an idea to what is wrong, and how to solve the problem? The
> linux disk was supposed to be used in another computer, so I don't find
> this a good solution in the long run...
>
> TIA
> /Jan

I've had the same problems with various versions of SB PCI 64 and SB PCI 128.
I think the problem is with the actual audio chips used on the cards, CT4750, CT4751,
CT4700, CT4810, CT4811, .....
It doesn't seem that every of these chips are equally supported.

If you want to do yourself a favour, go and get an SB Live 1024. I am very sure that this works,
I use one myself and with 4.2, there are no problems at all.

A quite interesting story is that I have used an SB PCI 64 (which is actually almost the same
as the PCI 128) with freebsd 4.0, compiled a kernel with device pcm and after MAKEDEV snd0 in /dev,
it worked a long time without any problems. At some point, I cvsupped to 4.1.1 or so, and a few days
later (no problems so far), the sound started to be noisy, slow, annoying and disturbing.

I still have no clue why this happened. I reinstalled 4.0 from the cds and theoretically, it should have
worked again. But nope, it didn't want to. worked under linux though.

so I think the best solution for these problems is to get a cool Sb Live 1024, costs almost no
money, and works suh-weet.

regards
--
	Andreas Ntaflos