Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:00:38 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Pedro Timoteo <deh@meganet.pt>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: top uptime!

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 06:25:11PM +0100, Pedro Timoteo wrote:
> > It's very interesting to note which OS is *not* listed.
>=20
> I don't want to be TOO annoying, but could it be because the linux kernel=
 2.4=20
> is about 4 months old, and since then most people have upgraded to it,=20
> ruining their uptimes?
>=20
> I'm not saying that Linux is more stable (I know it isn't, I use both), b=
ut=20
> in this case I don't think the stability of Linux is fairly shown here.

By that same logic people using FreeBSD should have upgraded to 4.2,
ruining their uptimes.  Some evidently did, but if Linux 2.0.whatever
was as stable as FreeBSD 2.2.whatever (i.e. dating from the same time
period), one should expect to see them both represented at the top of
the list, all other things being equal.

As noted by other respondants, this only shows information about very
old versions of Linux and FreeBSD by its very nature.

Kris

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--