Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 1995 11:44:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jc@irbs.com (John Capo)
Cc:        shorty@iii.net, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network problems, please assist

> > How do I said the option GATEWAY in the kernel?  Please be specific, I
> > haven't altered the kernel before.
> > Thanks,
> > -Justin Seger-
> >

> Add this line to your kernel config file and build and install the
> new kernel:
>
> options		GATEWAY
>
> You can turn on forwarding in a running kernel with:
>
> sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

Note that the first is almost a requirement in any case, because you
won't have enough buffers without it.

This should probably be fixed so that the buffers are soft reconfigurable
or configured for gateway by default.

Using the sysctl line by itself will turn on gatewaying.  If the buffer
problem is fixed, then this ought to be rolled into

	/etc/sysconfig (GATEWAY set 'YES' or 'NO')
	/etc/netstart (use of the variable)

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---