Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 1999 07:53:41 +1000
From:      Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Lockup

 seem to have developed an intermittent lockup problem.

The setup is a bare bones CLI mode FreeBSD 3.2 in an old
Pentium 100 with 32Mb RAM working as a gateway / router
on a permanent dialup modem connection. Everything seems
to work fine until I leave the house, when the box just freezes.
I can change virtual consoles but other than that the keyboard
fails to do anything, and pings from other machines on the LAN
don't work either. The modem is a Hayes Optima 33600.

A while back I had to change the modem at the dialin end (which
also runs FreeBSD) from a Hayes Optima to an old $20 "el junko"
WebExcel after the Hayes one repeatedly locked up .... does anyone
know of issues with FreeBSD & Hayes modems that might be of
releevance here ??