Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:56:00 -0700
From:      William Studenmund <wrstuden@wasabisystems.com>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        "'Kenneth D. Merry'" <ken@freebsd.org>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iSCSI/luns/check-condition

On Aug 25, 2006, at 2:28 AM, Danny Braniss wrote:

>> Danny,
>>
>> LUN 1 should not be returning a chk condition in response to an
>> INQUIRY
>> command with the page code and EVPD both 0 in the cdb.  The device
>> server should return the inquiry response data with the peripheral
>> device qualifier set to 001b or 011b (1 or 3) per the scsi specs.
>>
>> Bill
>>
> hi Bill,
>   that's 'wishfull thinking' :-), I can only fix the initiator, the
> target
>   I have to live with :-(

Actually, I believe the target is behaving correctly. See below.

You really need to answer this question. It's always the first thing
to do when trying to figure out a SCSI issue.

The only non-good status the target will give out of this command is
Check Condition, Illegal request, Invalid Field in CDB (ASC/Q
0x24/0x00). It will also give you a sense-key-specific field
indicating which byte upset the target.

So fire up wireshark and see what's going on.

Nothing happens to be trying to put the LUN in bits 5 through 7 of
byte 1 perchance? They have been reserved since SPC2 or earlier.
Trying to put the LUN there will cause the issue you're seeing.

Take care,

Bill