Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:10:49 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        dune@cats.edu.ph
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Divert

> What I had in mind is two networks coexisting in one physical network.

Um, yes you can. No, you probably really don't want to. At least not with
just one NIC in the "gateway". See below...

> divert 8668 ip from any to any

This may also be bogus. I don't think it'll quite do what you want, especially
whereas ipfw rules get processed both on the way in, and on the way out. This
rule would get caught in both directions and infinately loop through natd. I
expect you'd want something more like:

divert 8868 ip from any to any in via foo0

The major bobo with this design is the possibility for your single-nic'ed
"gateway" to kick out ICMP redirect packets to the originating host. After
all, to your "gateway", the client and the next hop router are both on the
same interface, so your client should be able to directly reach the router,
no? But, since they're on different logical lans, the client will think it
can't, and you'll probably end up with host unreachable messages.

This also brings up security and right-of-use issues, depending on your
topography. Most cable modem companies (MediaOne comes to mind, as I'm a
subscriber) allow only one PC to be connected to the cable modem or router.
This device acts like an Ethernet _bridge_ to their network. Therefore, all of
your PCs will see all of their traffic, and they, and all of their customers
who use their same logical segment, potentially will see all of yours. This is
bad for security, and network loading. Additionally, since its against their
use policy, they'll probably unplug you pretty quickly.

Over all, I think you're going to spend a large amount in time and headaches,
rather than shelling $30 US for a second ethernet card.

	-Brian