Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 22:55:11 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        "Jon ." <los_alamos@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking under FreeBSD

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 09:34:24AM -0500, Jon . wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a small LAN using at least one BSD computer, but I've
> run into problems with the network cards.  I tried using a 3Com Etherlink
> II, which is apparently supported, and edited the rc.conf/rc.network files
> as indicated in the man pages, but I've had no luck.  I switched over to an
> Intel card, same thing.  The only error I receive is that "device ed0 does
> not exist".  If someone could tell me what I need to name the devices in the
> configuration files, it would be greatly appreciated.

The device name depends on the type of hardware you plug in the box: look
at /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC for often-used Ethernet adapters, and at
/sys/i386/conf/LINT for all devices.

For example, some Intel ISA cards use the xl driver, the EtherExpress Pro
the fxp driver, 3Com use something like ep, I think. I'm not sure about
the 3Com cards because I never used any with FreeBSD boxes - there were
some difficulties with them and as there are other cards available which
work flawlessly without hassle, I chose them.

You can get a man page for each driver by looking at "man 4 <driver", like
"man 4 fxp" to get more information about each. And you have to change your
entries for the card in /etc/rc.conf from ed0 to for example fxp0, de0, and
so on, depending on the card's type.

Regards,

Martin
--
      ,,Oh, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
                  you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't