Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:07:05 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor issues after upgrade to 4.0-Stable

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> writes:
>
> > "David J. Kanter" wrote:
> > >
> > > My upgrade from 3.5 to 4.0 was a lot easier than I thought, but now I've got
> > > some minor annoyances that I don't know how to fix.
> > >
> > > 1. Xfstt (linux) isn't working properly. The binary is running, as shown by
> > > ps, but I have no access to TrueType fonts. All the fonts are on my Windows
> > > partition. It worked fine before, and I haven't changed a thing in the
> > > start-up script or /etc/XF86Config.
> > >
> > > 2. WindowMaker's wmnet isn't working right. I have wmnet -i tun0 start up
> > > automatically, but it starts up with the ppp0 device. And, none of my
> > > tunneling devices show up if I cycle through all the devices on the wmnet
> > > app. If I type, at the shell, wmnet -i tun0, it'll show up. All the other
> > > devices show up, like faith, etc., too.
>
> I have never used or installed either of these programs, but they might need
> to be rebuilt because of changes elsewhere in the system.  The latter, in
> particular, sounds like it may be depending on devices in the kernel...
>
> > > 3. How do I get the new docs to install? I cvsup'ed the doc-all branch, and
> > > assumed they would be updated automatically. But they weren't. What do I do
> > > to get these updated?
> >
> > You have to "cd /usr/doc" and do a make and make install. You need the
> > docproj installed before it will work. What I did then is add a folder
> > to my KDE desktop with a link to /usr/doc/<your language>/articles and
> > books.
>
> I build the docs from source myself, but that's considerable overkill unless
> you're planning to submit changes to the docs.  [Note that Kent left out the
> step of actually downloading -- presumably via cvsup -- the /usr/doc tree
> itself.]

Actually, you missed his cvsup of doc-all on item 3. I find having the
docs on my computer better than using the HTML version on FreeBSD.org.
It is much faster although I have a DSL now and once it settles down,
my comment about speed may not be true. I like having a copy locally
because when things break down your local copy may be all you have. I
haven't found the copy on FreeBSD.org to be as current as what I build
in a few minutes. Just recently, I was working with IPFW and NATD and
until I got it running, the only computer docs I had access to were
from doc-all.

> An easier approach would be to just grab the whole doc distribution from a
> recent snapshot (e.g.,
> releng4.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/{whatever}/doc/), and
> install that.

Once you have cvsup'ed doc-all, the updates via cvsup are very fast.

Kent

> > > 4. /var/cron/log moved to /var/log/cron, so I just did a cp -Rp. Does that
> > > sound OK?
>
> Sure.  I just started the log over from scratch, myself...
>
> Be well.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg