Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2007 21:08:50 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/115885: misc/help2man: help2man ignores installed gettext perl mod; insists on stale p5-* dependency

On Sunday 02 September 2007 20:12:03 snowcrash+freebsd wrote:
> hi,
>
> > You have perl modules installed, that have no corresponding installed
> > FreeBSD port.
>
> i do not use BSDPAN -- it's sloppy about its dependency mgmt.
>
> as i do on every other os/platform, i use ONLY "native" cpan/cpanp.
>
> i have dozens of cpan-installed perl-modules.  cpan/cpanp manage the
> dependencies just fine.

Except for apps in the ports, because cpan/cpanp can not register *port*
dependencies.
RUN_DEPENDS does not mean "check if this file exists", it means "register a
dependency on this port". What it does is:
1) check if the port is installed and if not install it.
2) add a line @pkgdep portname-version to $PKGDB/portname-version/+CONTENTS
3) add a line @DEPORIGIN:category/origin to $PKGDB/portname-version/+CONTENTS
4) add a line portname-version to $PKGDB/depname-version/+REQUIRED_BY

If you wanna get rid of this problem, you could use an AFTER_INSTALL hack in
pkgtools.conf to undo 2)-4). Messy, but works.

Much cleaner is to just use the ports system p5-*. It does it's job very well
and since you're familiar with cpan/cpanp I'm sure you'll have no problem
installing modules that might not exist in the freebsd ports into a directory
*outside* the ports hierarchy (/usr/local) and add this to the module search
path.

--
Mel

People using reply to all on lists, must think I need 2 copies.