Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2018 16:23:11 -0500
From:      Vincent Stemen <vince.bsd@hightek.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ATI video problem - extremely slow desktop - 100% cpu load

Hi.

FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE
Motherboard:    gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2
Video:          Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics

System runs fine with a simple stand alone window manager such as jwm,
openbox, etc.  But anytime I run a desktop environment that has a panel and/or
desktop icons, the X desktop takes a very long time to start up and runs
extremely slow and unresponsive, the pointer jumps instead of moving smoothly,
and the main Xorg process runs at 100% load on one core.  I have tried several
different desktops, such as xfce, enlightenment, lumina, etc.  Similar problem
on all of them.

It appears to be any environment that is using DBUS.  That could just be
a coincidence.

The weird thing is that it does not always do it.  Once in a while, when
I launch X, it comes up quick and runs fine.  Shut down X and re-run it and
it's back doing it again.  Sometimes it will come up running fine several
times in a row.  Once it comes up working correctly, it stays working until
I restart X.  Even after a reboot, it is inconsistent about doing it the first
time X is run.

I have tried re-installing all the ports from X11 and the desktop environments
from FreeBSD 11 release_1, release_2, quarterly, and latest.  Same problem
with all of them.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

I don't know if for sure if this is a FreeBSD or a port problem.  There are
radeon modules running.

# kldstat

   5    1 0xffffffff82431000 12b4a0   radeonkms.ko
  10    1 0xffffffff825b9000 103e     radeonkmsfw_RS780_pfp.ko
  11    1 0xffffffff825bb000 5b3f     radeonkmsfw_RS780_me.ko
  12    1 0xffffffff825c1000 1338     radeonkmsfw_R600_rlc.ko

X is using the ati driver from the xf86-video-ati-7.9.0_1,1 package.

The evidence seems to be pointing toward the xf86-video-ati package being the
problem.  If I edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use the "vesa" driver rather than
the "radeon" driver the problem goes away.

But, of course, the vesa driver is low resolution and does not re-initialize the
console when I exit X.