Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:31:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joachim Isaksson <Joachim.Isaksson@ibfs.com>, Luoqi Chen <luoqi@chen.ml.org>, Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

On Thursday, 15 April 1999 at 11:46:58 +0200, Joachim Isaksson wrote:
>>> 2) "The Linux kernel limited itself to use only 960 MB of RAM"
>>
>> The box had 4GB of RAM, but Linux got to use less than 1GB.  Poor Linux.
>> This was such a fair test! :-(  Do we recall a previous test where our
>> favourite OS used only a portion of the total RAM?
>
> Well, does Linux really limit itself to 960MB of RAM as they claim?
> If so, I'd say it's not an unfair test to not limit NT to the same low memory
> use.

It looks as if they did.  To quote
http://www.lwn.net/1999/features/MindCraft1.0.phtml, which I found to
be a well-reasoned summary, though I didn't check their reasoning:

  Non-issues

      A few complaints that have been sent to us probably do not
      figure into the test results. We list them here in the hopes of
      helping to slow their propagation and improve the quality of
      information out there.

         Some complaints have been raised about the test being run on
         a 4GB server, even though the Linux kernel, in its default
         form, can only use 960M of that. Patches can be applied to
         make 2GB available fairly easily. But, in any case, they
         claim that NT was limited (with the maxmem parameter) to 1G
         of memory, so this aspect of the test was fair. It would have
         been more straightforward of them, however, to have simply
         remove the other 3G from the system.

Greg