Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:45:19 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-RELEASE to 3.0-CURRENT questions

Greetings!

I installed 3.0-RELEASE on my dual PII-350 box, then cvsup'd latest
source.  'make world' fails every time, as does 'make aout-to-elf'.
This afternoon I cvsup'd again to see if it was just a temporary thing.
It (make aout-to-elf) is still breaking:

/usr/obj/aout/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl/thrdvar.h:73: warning: data
definition has no type or storage class
In file included from DynaLoader.xs:130:
dlutils.c:10: `NULL' undeclared here (not in a function)
dlutils.c: In function `dl_generic_private_init':
dlutils.c:35: `NULL' undeclared (first use this function)
dlutils.c:35: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
dlutils.c:35: for each function it appears in.)
dlutils.c: In function `SaveError':
dlutils.c:50: `va_list' undeclared (first use this function)
dlutils.c:50: parse error before `args'
dlutils.c:56: `args' undeclared (first use this function)
DynaLoader.c: In function `XS_DynaLoader_dl_load_file`:
DynaLoader.c:155: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:155: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:165: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.xs:163: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a case
DynaLoader.xs:166: `NULL' undeclared (first use this function)
DynaLoader.c: In function `XS_DynaLoader_dl_find_symbol':
DynaLoader.c:197: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:198: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:198: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.xs:183: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a case
DynaLoader.xs:187: `NULL' undeclared (first use this function)
DynaLoader.c: In function `XS_DynaLoader_dl_install_xsub':
DynaLoader.c:240: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:240: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:241: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:247: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:247: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c: In function `boot_DynaLoader':
DynaLoader.c:282 `NULL' undeclared (first use this function)
DynaLoader.c:282: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:282: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:282: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
DynaLoader.c:282: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
#

Am I correct in assuming that I need to 'make aout-to-elf' BEFORE I
'make world'?  Is the source tree just broken right now, or is this a
symptom of something I did incorrectly?  The UPDATING file I cvsup'd was
not terribly clear as I tried to upgrade.  Maybe I'm just one of those
simple-minded 2.2.8-STABLE users who are easily baffled by CURRENT.

Thanks for any/all ideas!

Aaron out.