Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:56:51 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed/responsiveness of FreeBSD and X

j mckitrick said on Aug 18, 2000 at 16:34:28:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 11:50:53AM -0400, Andresen,Jason R. wrote:
> | Linux also has a console framebuffer driver that is used for some
> | applications that is much much faster than X, but it only works with a
> | few applications (mostly games) that are specifically written for it.
>
> console?  so does this run under X or not?

I think there are two things here.
(1) The linux kernel has a framebuffer driver that "provides an
abstraction for the graphics hardware".  The X server can run on top
of this.  I think this is supported only by some graphics cards, and
mainly on non-intel machines; I haven't used it.
(2) There's a thing called svgalib which supports graphics on SVGA
cards without an X server.  It doesn't seem very commonly used now.

Rahul.