Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:12:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@skeleton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade from fbsd 5.4 to 8.x

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:

# Not totally true. 5.4 was released in 2005 whereas newest motherboard with
# which I faced personally problems booting from USB was from 2003. And it
# actually declares that it can boot from USB.

	5.4 seemed to actually have many issues with USB; some devices
work, others cause kernel panics as soon as they hit the socket, so I
generally avoid them on the machine (which causes no end of trouble for
backups :)

# However it's quite possible the hardware would not boot from USB stick. This

	An interesting idea to boot from USB here; I've often flirted with
the idea of using the local-disk for storage, and the OS from flash media,
and thus being able to swap easily without a hypervisor/etc.

	Anyway, as this box is a shell, mailserver, low end webserver etc,
fairly dedicated in function, I think my best route will be to buy another
disk (I mean, theyu're cheap right?) and do the jump straight to a fresh-8
install, harden it up, and do the piecemeal migration. Worst case is I go
back to the existing drive for a few days until I get it all working.

	Thanks for the many tips my friends,

		jeff

--
If everyone would put barbecue sauce on their food, there would be no war.