Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:36:21 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
To:        Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: corrupted UFS2 label after ffs_vfsops.c,v 1.198

	Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:44:10 +0100 (CET)
	From: Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
	To: mckusick@freebsd.org
	Cc: FreeBSD-Current <current@freebsd.org>
	Subject: corrupted UFS2 label after ffs_vfsops.c,v 1.198

	Hi,
	after cvsupping a kernel with the mentioned version of ffs_vfsops.c
	I tried to upgrade my kernel from a some weeks aged -current.
	After that I'm no longer able to mount or fsck a UFS2 formatted
	disk. My dmesg is attached.

	Trying fsck_ffs /dev/da0s1a gives:
	(nihil)(root) # fsck_ffs /dev/da0s1a
	** /dev/da0s1a
	Cannot find file system superblock

	LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? [yn] y

	Fließkommafehler
	(floating point error in german)

	Any possible alternate superblock given with -b gives
	a fp-error also.

	How to resolve this?

	Bye!
	----
	Michael Reifenberger
	^.*Plaut.*$, IT, R/3 Basis, GPS

Once you have upgraded your fsck to the current version, it will only
check converted UFS2 filesystems. To convert your UFS2 filesystem,
simply mount it with your new kernel. Once you have done that, you
will be able to unmount it and run the new fsck. Similarly, if you
have an older kernel (vintage last four months of -current) then it
will back-convert your UFS2 filesystems every time you run it and thus
you will have to forward convert before fsck will run on it again.

	Kirk McKusick