Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:45:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dying jail

--7WhCgLKjuec0H16LvX9Ooi8obLxNwavln
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

--SjNsFvx2GHm0XXrEH7wiClAxaKXVUVe82

On 10/26/16 09:09, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Recently I've upgraded one of my server running 9.3-STABLE with jail co=
ntaining 4.11-STABLE system.
> The host was source-upgraded upto 10.3-STABLE first and next to 11.0-ST=
ABLE
> and jail configuration migrated to /etc/jail.conf. The jail kept intact=
=2E
>=20
> "service jail start" started the jail successfully
> but "service jail restart" fails due to jail being stuck in "dying" sta=
te for long time:
> "jls" shows no running jails and "jls -d" shows the dying jail.
>=20
> How do I know why is it stuck and how to forcebly kill it without reboo=
t of the host?

I've seen this fairly frequently.  I think it may have something to do
with old network connections waiting to be cleaned up -- if you run
sockstat it's all the stuff that gets listed at the end with lots of
question marks.  BICBW.

One tip I've found is *not* to specify the JID number in jail.conf, and
just let the system allocate a new one as it feels necessary.  If you've
scripting that uses the JID to operate on a specific jail, it's easy to
substitute the jail name instead.

	Cheers,

	Matthew