Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:59:36 +1000
From:      'David Gerard' <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Selling FreeBSD

Jeff MacDonald (jeff@interchange.ca) [030607 08:35]:

> >> I would question that. I just set my highly non-technical
> >> wife up with
> >> FreeBSD 4.8, KDE 3.1, Mozilla Firebird 0.6 (Linux binary) and
> >> OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 (Linux binary, as mentioned on this
> >> list ;-). It does
> >> require an administrator to at least run the ports or packages, but
> >> any office network will need an administrator.
> >> The only thing still missing is a drop-in replacement for
> >> Outlook. Other
> >> than that, it's probably more usable than Windows, and a Windows user
> >> should have no trouble.

> Evolution is a pretty good drop in replacement for outlook.

I heard somewhere (don't recall where) that the Ximian proprietary program
that interfaces Evolution to an Exchange server is actually a screen
scraper for Outlook Web Access. Sounds a little implausible to me (what
about all the funky calendar functions?), but could be a start on an
open-source tool of that function.

- d.