Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:34:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Daniel T. Hagan" <dhagan@vt.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disk mirroring with ccd

>From the man page for ccd(8):

Disk Mirroring
     You can configure the ccd to ``mirror'' any even number of disks.
See ccdconfig(8) for how to specify the necessary flags.  In an event of a
disk failure, you can use dd(1) to recover the failed disk.  Note that a
one-disk ccd is not the same as the original partition. In particular,
this means if you have a filesystem on a two-disk mirrored ccd and one of
the disks fail, you cannot mount and use the remaining partition as
itself; you have to configure it as a one-disk ccd.

Just to be sure I understand what this is saying, if I have:

ccd0	??	CCDF_MIRROR	/dev/sd1e /dev/sd2e

as the configuration, and sd1 fails, can I change the configuration to:

ccd0	??	none	/dev/sd2e

And recover the data from ccd0?

As an added question, how does interleaving affect disk mirroring under
ccd?  Any recommended values?

Please cc: a reply directly to me, as I don't read the list on a regular
basis.

Thanks,

Daniel Hagan

---