Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2019 17:36:33 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        John Johnstone <jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd@tridentusa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openvpn

<jjohnstone.nospamfreebsd@tridentusa.com> wrote:
>=20
> On 4/22/2019 8:53 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> I am trying to setup an openvpn server on my home network.  Home =
machines are all running FBSD 12.0 Release.  openvpn was installed as a =
package.  The results are quite confusing.  Ping from an external device =
works correctly to all the home machines.  I can use tcpdump to see the =
request packets arriving at the openvpn server, being sent to the =
recipient machine, the response packets being sent from the recipient =
machine to the openvpn server, and then sent to the external device. The =
external device shows that the response was received with a reasonable =
response time given that it is a cell phone.
>> However, when I try to access a web page on any of the servers, I see =
the same set of packets via tcpdump.  In addition if I run ktrace on the =
openvpn server, I see the encrypted packets from the client being =
received.  The decrypted packets sent to the home server.  The =
unencrypted response from the home server, and the encrypted response =
sent to the phone.  However, the phone says that the server dropped the =
connection, or it shows a blank page.
>> My first thought was that there was an encryption issue, but if that =
were the case, ping would not work.  Checking the ping packets shows =
that they are encrypted between the phone and the openvpn server.  =
Likewise a routing issue in the home network does not seem to be the =
problem for the same reason.  All the info I have found on the web about =
vpn indicates that a ping test should be sufficient.  But, in this case =
it is not.
>> Any ideas on how to track down the problem, or fix it?  Thanks,
>> -- Doug
>=20
> My experience with OpenVPN is with pfSense which has always worked so =
I don't have any good suggestions.  You could try looking for the 3-way =
TCP handshake syn - syn-ack - ack with tcpdump for an incoming =
connection on the web server.  Does the web server log show anything =
interesting?  Anything in the OpenVPN server logging?

Nothing unexpected.

>=20
> Might be difficult to arrange but testing from some hardware besides a =
phone would help; being able to run tcpdump on the external device side. =
 This would allow verifying the 3-way TCP handshake at the client side.

As I indicated, tcpdump has been use on all connections.  The =
connections are established and data is sent.  The client just ignores =
it.  Or, that's what it appears.

>=20
> It's not likely but an Ethernet duplex mismatch (full - half) can give =
strange results where a few ping packets work fine but anything faster =
than that produces trouble because of the high rate of collisions.

The connections work just fine.  They are in use with other traffic.

>=20
> Perhaps review your OpenVPN server configuration compared to the =
OpenVPN client to be sure that everything is compatible between them.

I see nothing obvious between them.