Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 19:27:34 +0000 ()
From:      Ben Schmidtke <ben@benhome.tbcnet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CDROM and wt Tape driver

 I am currently running FreeBSD 2.0 Release #2 (Jan '94), and am having
trouble with the mcd0a driver dropping out with a media change error. This
occurrs during "heavy" activity such as package installation. The CDROM is
a Mitsumi single speed drive with a 16 bit controller card. Is there a
bug fix that I should be aware of?

 I also have an ancient Wantek tape drive in this system. If I configure
the kernel so that it knows the hardware parameters for the controller,
when the system boots up, very strange things happen. One example is that
at the login prompt, the block cursor is nailed in the leftmost column on
the screen, but characters echoed to the screen appear in the expected
place (after the prompt). It's all down hill from there.

 Both of these devices worked correctly in FreeBSD 1.1. Any ideas?