Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:29:37 +0000
From:      J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   script to change config files

Alright, i am very proud of myself for RTFMing and WTFP myself.
(Writing The Fine Program).
But i would like to know if there is a better way, and oif someone
could give me a clue.

I am a total neophyte at script programming, but it's only a matter of
time and practice.  Here's what i wanted to do:

when i log into my shell account from work, i want one mutt config
file with one set of colors.  When i log in anywhere else, it's
probably from my laptop, so i choose a config file with a different
set of colors.  In order to make sure all my changes are saved
correctly, here's what i did:

remove a file called 'flag', if it exists
grep the output of 'w' for my gateway name
output to the file 'flag'
if 'flag' exists, cat my basic config file with one set of colors
else cat them to another set.

I'm sure there's an easier way to do this.  I also need to be able to
save changes easily, so when i logout, i don't have to mess with a
changed .muttrc trying to merge diffs into the base version.  Any
suggestions?

jm