Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:47:56 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting ELF kernel

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999, Donn Miller put this into my mailbox:
> I put the line "/boot/loader" in /boot.conf just like the docs said
> (http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html).  However, I couldn't enter
> "-c" to enter userconfig to configure the kernel.  When I entered -c at
> the "boot: " prompt, it didn't go into UserConfig mode, but continued
> booting (without me being able to configure the kernel).

   Hmm.  Aren't you supposed to rewrite the boot blocks?
(Ideally you should check for an "Invalid format!" error at the top of your
screen, but this affects those who had initially used 2.2 disks)

   This is done by disklabel -B da0 / wd0 / etc.

> Also, how should rc.conf be handled in the case of an ELF kernel?  I
> still need to load the screensavers, which are LKMS, something AFAIK an
> ELF system doesn't support.  This is handled by rc.conf.  But what would
> I need to do in order to enable something like a screensaver with an ELF
> kernel?

   Use kld.  lkm should be removed, as it's broken. (at least it is no matter
WHAT I try, as far as 3.0-{RELEASE,STABLE}/3.1-BETA goes)

> BTW, there's a line in /usr/src/etc/defaults/rc.conf that states
> "rc.conf" is part of "rc_conf_files", which causes rc.conf to continue
> sucking in rc.conf in an infinite loop until the system runs out of file
> descriptors.

   CVSup again.  That was recently fixed.

> Donn

-Chris