Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:36:31 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Redirecting the "Send a bug report" link to the article on filing PRs

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On 2003.11.18 12:37:58 -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:27:53 -0500
> Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I was going to file a PR for this, but then I realized that there may b=
e some
> > reason that it hasn't been done yet, and I figured I'd ask.
> >=20
> > The "Send a bug report" link on the home page currently goes to a page =
that
> > announces that the web interface to send-pr is down.  Like many others,=
> > am aware of the problems the web interface has caused, and I don't have=
> > solution on how to fix it (although I'd like to see it come back up).
> >=20
> > However, until someone comes up with a good fix and implements it, would
> > it be an improvement to have this link go to this article:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/art=
icle.html
> > This is a good substitute for not having a web interface, and actually,=
 it
> > should be required reading, even if the web interface comes back up.
>=20
> FWIW, I think the suggestion here has merit; if there are no objections
> I would like to do this later on today.

To make the front page a bit less clobbered, I have actually been
thinking about simply removing the 'Bug Reports' section of the menu,
and just have a single 'Bug Reports' menuitem under the Support menu
section (or some other section).  That single menu item would link to
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#gnats .  Just my opinion...

BTW, I also think it could be nice if we turn the web send-pr form back
on, since many people have been requesting it - as long as we monitor it
closely, so we can pull the plug if it gets abused again.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr