Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 2020 17:34:01 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: editors/vim needs devel/llvm90 and devel/llvm10

Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org> writes:

> While the end-user package burden is significantly lower, I suspect
> very, very few users actually make use of the gtk3 frontend-specific
> features. Honestly, the plain x11 frontend is probably sufficient for
> the vast majority of gvim users (it's what I test with), and if you
> don't use GUI vim at all then I strongly encourage the vim-console
> package (or vim with the CONSOLE option enabled).

FWIW, X11 isn't sufficient for Wayland users but Vim isn't ready yet.

  $ pkg install cage vim
  $ GDK_BACKEND=wayland cage -d gvim
  E233: cannot open display

vim-8.2.1943/src/gui_gtk_x11.c:
  #if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(3,10,0)
      // Vim currently assumes that Gtk means X11, so it cannot use native Gtk
      // support for other backends such as Wayland.
      gdk_set_allowed_backends ("x11");
  #endif