Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:31:17 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Wim Livens <livensw@rc.bel.alcatel.be>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC questions

>   I've had the same problem, connecting multimode NICs to a
>singlemode switch.  This was all in one room so I just used multimode
>fiber from the NIC to the switch and whatever fiber with an attenuator
>($50) in the other direction.  It was a trial and error thing but it's
>working now for over two years without any problem.

Thanks for the interesting tip!  I sort of solved my problem, in that the
HydroElectric company (the one laying the fiber and providing cheap ATM
access) made the issue go away in that as part of their service, they
include the necessary device to go from single mode to UTP, so I can order
the ATM card with that interface.

	---Mike