Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:27:27 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
To:        "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrading FreeBSD-4.3STABLE(4.4RC) to FreeBSD-4.4STABLE

At 01:09 AM 9/16/2001 -0400, alexus wrote:
>cd /usr/src;make world;make kernel;mergemaster;reboot

If you want to do that all one on a single command line, I suggest you use
something more like:

`cd /usr/src && make world && make kernel && mergemaster`

Which will check that each step is completed successfully before the next
one starts.  One possibility is you have kern.securelevel set to a level
that would prevent the new kernel from being properly installed.  Since you
used ';' to separate those install commands, the system would silently go
on to the next step even if the new kernel was not installed.

If you have any doubts that your source was not updated, look at

/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh

and search for 'BRANCH' and 'REVISION'

If it indeed says STABLE and 4.4, then I'd see why your compiled kernel is
not being installed correctly after being built.

--
Christopher Schulte
christopher@schulte.org