Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 14:18:35 +0000
From:      David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting smtp sendmail working

Ian - I am really in the dark here.  When _I_ got setup, I followed
the cheat sheets, got help from others and it works.  Each time
I do it it seems to take less time,  but to be honest I am really
do not understand the significance of these entries.
But if you fix your problems like I do with a little
trial-and-error handy work.. here are my samples of what you showed me.

I _also_ have cache-only DNS on my machine. At least I _think_ it's working.
I really don't know. Lynx works for me fine but I don't know
how that means the caching is working.

I gave my machine the name d.tracker because I ran into some
DNS problems with the single name "tracker"

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:21:09PM -0400, User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> 	I'm getting Deferred: No route to host when trying to use the
> smtp.mail.yahoo.com relay service.  It seems this may be a problem with my
> DNS or how this name is getting resolved by sendmail.  I am using a
> cache-only DNS on my local box.  Here are my resolv.conf entries.
>
> nameserver      127.0.0.1
> nameserver      207.217.120.83
> nameserver      207.217.77.82

Mine says
nameserver 216.13.85.13
nameserver 207.181.101.4

> 	The last two are DNS's used by earthlink customers, the first of course
> is my box.  I do have cache only name server I set up using the info in the
> Complete FreeBSD.  Here is localhost.rev.
>
> @       IN      SOA     scarlet.my.domain. root.scarlet.my.domain.  (
>                                 20010428        ; Serial
>                                 3600    ; Refresh
>                                 900     ; Retry
>                                 3600000 ; Expire
>                                 3600 )  ; Minimum
>         IN      NS      scarlet.my.domain.
> 1       IN      PTR     localhost.my.domain.

Mine says;

$TTL    3600

@       IN      SOA     d.tracker. root.d.tracker.  (
                                20000924        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
        IN      NS      d.tracker.
1       IN      PTR     localhost.d.tracker.

> 	The appropriate parts of named.conf are ...
>
> forwarders {
>     207.217.120.83; 207.217.77.82; 127.0.0.1;
> };
Mine;

  forwarders {
                127.0.0.1;