Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2014 03:13:24 +0000
From:      Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Closson <matthew.closson@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What determines whether a rubygem should be ported or not?

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 03:15:41PM -0800, Matthew Closson wrote:
> Greetings!  What determines whether a specific ruby gem should have a
> FreeBSD port created for it or not.
>
> I've looked at the list of available packages / ports that start with
> rubygem-* and its not obvious to me if its because the gem really required
> some platform specific patching to build and install correctly on FreeBSD
> or if is another reason or if its just arbitrary that someone decided to
> create a port for a specific gem at one point in time.

There are two main reasons gem ports are created, as far as I know.

The first if anyone needs it and submits a PR or if they are a committer,
creates the port. They may need it for something they're writing or might need
the gem itself (often times gems include commands as well as libs)

The second is that often gems are created because they are needed by something
else. For example, redmine, which is a bug tracking system, is written in Ruby
and uses a lot of gems, so in order to have redmine in ports we have the gems
it needs.

Steve