Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:02:16 +1100
From:      Tony Frank <tfrank@optushome.com.au>
To:        Guido Winkelmann <guido@prophetic-entertainment.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance problems with a Via Rhine II and a rtl8139C NIC on a Via Epia MB

Hi there,

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:02:59PM +0100, Guido Winkelmann wrote:
> The problem is that receiving data from the local network is really slow.
>
> Receiving data from the local network using the Via Rhine adapter gives a data
> rate of 588.2 Kilobytes/s, using the Realtek adapter it's only 37.9
> Kilobytes/s.

Have you checked that you have the NIC setup for same speed/duplex as your
switch/hub/other pc ?

This kind of problem is often due to mismatch in duplex (eg card is full,
switch is half)

Also worth checking the cables.

You should be able to see current arrangement with 'ifconfig' output.
You can change the setup using the 'ifconfig mediaopt' command.
'man 4 rl' will list the supported options.

Otherwise given the other problems mentioned I'd suggest dumping the realtek
and going with something else (personally have had great success with
intel based chips (fxp) and also some netgear from a while back (dc)
Note that the man page doesnt particularly speak highly of this chip.

Best of luck,

Tony