Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:39:29 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        "Dag-Erling C. Smørgrav" <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Reginald Perry <perry@zso.dec.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC Magazine 10/20/1998 Article about FreeBSD

Dag-Erling C. Smørgrav wrote:

> Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> writes:
> > I'd guess the benchmark interpretation comes from the reviewer doing a
> > wild guess on why FreeBSD was slower.
>
> Hear hear. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that FreeBSD lagged
> behind NT as load increased simply because they didn't have a
> competent FreeBSD admin tuning the box. There are a couple of things
> you can do to a FreeBSD system that will make it positively scream for
> Web use but aren't in the default config; the squid docs mention some
> of it (e.g. tuning the number and size of mbufs)

They can only tune what they know about.

We should have a high-performance serving and benchmarking document
like the Apache guys have. That's also the reason I asked DG about the
tunings involved in wcarchive.

It would be nice to collect the various tuning tip & tricks together
and produce a tuning FAQ.

I try to do that but my time is limited at the moment (I got sick).

--
Andre