Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:42:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help? Matrox unknown chipset (0x0521) rev. 1

On Fri 18 Dec, opel@conti.de wrote:
> I've received the CDRom-Distribution 2.2.7 a few days ago and I'm not
> familiar using it at the time, but the setup seems to be correct now.
> I had a look a look at all the messages when booting with -v option and
> coudn'd find any errors or conflicts. I use a new kernel with
> sound-driver.
>
> Unfortunatly my X resolution is limited to 320x200 dots...
> startx reports: "Matrox unknown chipset (0x0521) rev. 1..."
> and uses a generic vga driver. I've coosen XF86_SVGA server and found a
> driver for my "Matrox Millenium II AGP" as part of the distribution.
>
> I'm running out of ideas now, what to try next. However, the grafics
> adapter isn't faulty, it works i. e. with Windows-NT.
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Greetings from Hannover/Germany

The chipset isn't being recognised, so it is being used as standard VGA.
Chipset 0x0521 is the G200, not the Millenium 2. I've got this card, and it
works fine with XFree86 3.3.3 (using the SVGA server), but 3.3.2 doesn't have
the driver.
BTW, until you get the new X server you can run it at higher resolutions (in
4bpp) with the VGA16 server.

--
csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk