Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:23:37 -0400
From:      Theron <theron.tarigo@gmail.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Intel Broadwell GPU Support??
References:  <20170321182231.GG77624@rancor.immure.com> <25c5ecee-b617-a55b-c8f9-cf041b7ecf92@nomadlogic.org> <20170321201843.GH77624@rancor.immure.com> <10d5602e-8fe5-1d2c-1e07-5ca2f62ebfe0@nomadlogic.org> <20170321222823.GA79219@rancor.immure.com> <79.B5.25473.52E32D85@dnvrco-omsmta03> <20170322125003.GL3359@rancor.immure.com> <5d9d18c0-e73a-3f08-3ec5-7ad0e4d96ca1@gmail.com> <c4242c04-52e4-6ca7-0cad-1f66da780ba7@nomadlogic.org>

On 03/22/17 13:58, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 03/22/17 10:20, Theron wrote:

>>> I followed the instructions here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
>>>
>>> and used freebsd-base-graphics for both buildword and buildkernel.
>>> I'm not too
>>> clear on just what that means for any future updates, though. I have
>>> been
>>> hoping for the past year or more that the patches/changes included in
>>> freebsd-base-graphics would get integrated into the base. I really
>>> don't know
>>> if that's happened or planned to be done. Been kinda frustrating.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I think the problem with upstreaming is that
>> FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics uses elements of the Linux
>> source tree organization, namely the drivers/gpu and
>> Documentation/gpu directories, which do not fit in the normal FreeBSD
>> source tree.  As far as I can tell the FreeBSDDesktop team did this
>> to minimize differences between Linux and FreeBSD gpu sources.  Maybe
>> these directories should be put elsewhere and just the makefiles
>> modified to resolve the differences?  Or have the source consist of
>> the files with unmodified Linux paths along side a patch file
>> correcting the differences, similarly to ports? Given that most
>> technical issues are out of the way and that there is a high user
>> demand for this support, it seems to be time for the developers to
>> revisit this issue.
>
> I don't want to speak for mmacy@ or others, but my understanding was
> to first implement a linux KPI layer for FreeBSD that is up to date
> with the current linux kernel code.  this should allow for easier
> integration of the DRM bits from linux onto FreeBSD, and help get
> other drivers and that are linux specific working.
>
> I believe currently work is happening right now to get the lkpi code
> from drm-next integrated into upstream CURRENT, and some folks are
> working on creating a drm port/pkg for intel i915 graphics as well as
> for amd GPU's.  This plan should help avoid some of the nastiness you
> mention, while also keeping GPL'd that is required to get all the bits
> working correctly out of the base system.
>
> at least that is my understanding - i'm sure someone will chime in if
> i'm off base/confused though :)
>
> -pete

You must be right about linuxkpi being the real issue.  I did an
experiment locally where I deleted sys/dev/drm which is a symlink to
drivers/gpu/drm, moved drivers/gpu/drm to sys/dev/drm, and deleted
drivers/gpu entirely.  The kernel still builds with no issue, so the
only remaining reason for drivers/gpu is diff compatibility with Linux
source.

How would these drivers work as ports?  Would this work like
x11/nvidia-driver?  Of course there must be others but Nvidia and
Virtualbox are the ports I have encountered which provide kernel modules.

Theron