Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:20:56 +0000
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@fer.hr>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "Bjoern A.Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VIMAGE UDP memory leak fix

On 21 Nov 2014, at 10:19, Robert N. M. Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG> =
wrote:

>> The important thing here is not to loose the momentum and energy =
which
>> Craig is putting in cleaning up VIMAGE, so if we take the route of
>> eliminating the UMA_ZONE_NOFREE flag (or not), that should be decided
>> with rough consensus and without too much delays, and without too =
much
>> bikeshed re. what could be nice to have in some distant future and
>> whatnot.  The current goal is cleaning up VIMAGE and making it
>> palatable for 11.0, without taking too much risk at breaking other
>> things.  I'm strongly opposed to even thinking aloud about any new
>> VNET-related features or concepts until VIMAGE finally becomes =
enabled
>> in /head.
>=20
> In the long list of things that are hard in operating systems, =
reasoning about data-structure reference counting and memory models in =
the presence of concurrency is pretty high on the list. I think you =
would not want to rush that sort of thing, and hence my feeling that you =
want to disentangle these two concerns. Throwing the switch on the =
UMA_ZONE_NOFREE flag setting is easy, but debugging race conditions =
involving use-after-free in the field is incredibly hard. If you can =
avoid depending on this, especially if we throw the switch and then =
discover in a few weeks or months that it wasn't as simple as we =
thought, then you put other more concrete goals substantially less at =
risk. We can go away and think hard about UMA_ZONE_NOFREE for a few =
weeks, and follow up, but I recommend you find another solution in the =
mean time if you are worried about stalling VIMAGE cleanups.

(Alternatively, as I suggested in an earlier e-mail, you can convince us =
that you've done that analysis already by citing the revision history =
where all the pertinent problems were resolved, along with an informal =
argument that no other problems remain, which would mean much less =
waiting for us to try to make that argument for you. However, making the =
NOFREE change without going through that process is a recipe for =
disaster that we'd all rather avoid!)

Robert=