Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 08:42:40 -0400
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <test-owner@salem.ge.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, FreeBSD-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Problems with Installing 2.0.5R

I've been trying to install 2.0.5R since last Thursday, 15 June.  It's up
and running but here's the problems I've been having.

	First, here's the hardware it's running on:

		DOLCH 386-33 MB w/20MB RAM, Adaptec 1542CF with
		BIOS Translation turned off, 2 Serial Ports, NO Parallel
		Ports, ATI VGAWonder XL w/1MB RAM and onboard Mouse,
		3COM 3C503 (8-Bit) Ethernet, USRobotics 14,400 Internal
		modem w/16550Equiv, Digiboard COM-4 DUMB 4-port Serial
		I/O.  ST31200 1.0GB SCSI-2 Disk, DEC RZ25 400MB SCSI-2
		Disk, Archive 2150S QIC-150 1/4" Tape Drive SCSI-1,
		Sun/Sony CD-ROM SCSI-2 (external).

Now the problems:

	1)	Infamous "missing operating system".  I tried to install
		2.0.5R on an old CDC WREN SCSI-1 drive which has been
		running FreeBSD since the days of 1.0E.  I backed up the
		old partitions and began the install using the boot.flp
		image of 12 June.  Built new partitions, assigned new
		slices, etc...  System would not boot, saying "missing
		operating system".  I had a new Seagate 31200 and decided
		to start fresh.  Same problem!  I tried again and this time
		went BACK to the partition table after all was installed
		but before rebooting and discovered that even tho I had
		flagged the partition as bootable, IT WASN'T marked as such
		after installing the distribution.  I flagged it as bootable
		again and all was OK on the reboot!

	2)	Using the ST31200, I couldn't get it to accept the
		untranslated geometry.  The system has ONLY FreeBSD on it
		(no DOS, no OS/2, no WinNT).  The only way the system would
		work, is to create a 1MB DOS partition (which forced
		translated geometry) and then delete it and assign the
		entire disk to FreeBSD.

	3)	BIN Dist failed to install.  DEBUG Screen said "gunzip:
		unexpeced EOF" (not exact message).  Then "cpio: unexpected
		EOF".  Re-Downloaded new bin dist and tried again (same
		problem).  System was up enough to continue install.

	4)	Usr.SBin Dist failed to install with the same message as
		BIN Dist.  After getting this series of messages, I tried
		to list the dist(s) on my SPARC at work.  Using
		"zcat bin.?? | tar tf -" as the command, I got the SAME
		type of message with the BIN Dist on the Sun.  Using the
		"cat bin.?? | tar ztf -" all worked OK.  Same story on
		the "susbin.??" distribution.  The listing failed on
		the FIRST file in the susbin distribution and on the LAST
		file on the BIN dist.  After these tests, I completely
		redid the source extraction using the command
		"cat <distset>.?? | (cd <parent dir>; tar zxf -)" and am
		(as I write this) doing a "make world" in the source tree.

	5)	XF86 Failed completely to install via the sysinstall
		system.  I was able to extract it using the command
		in the Readme file just fine.  FYI, the error symptom
		from sysinstall was an immediate return when selecting
		the X install.  No error, no nuthin' just an immediate return
		to the menu.  Ditto for package installs.  I was able to
		install various packages using the old "pkg_add" command
		with no problem.

	This message is not intended to be a bitch, gripe, etc... about
the install process.  I happen to think (once I've/You've figured out
what happened) that the install is the best yet!  Beats the old 386BSD 0.1
install hands down (course, it wouldn't take much to beat that!).  Overall
I think 2.0.5 is quite an acomplishment! Kudos to all!!!!!!  The only problem
I'm seeing to-date with the system is some 'sio overruns' when my PPP link
is up, I'll investigate them later......

Steve Combs
Communications Analyst
GE Motors & Industrial Systems
Drive Systems