Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:24:25 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Subject:   Re: usb keyboard dying at loader prompt

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:09:00PM +0100, Volker wrote:
> On 11/11/08 19:55, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > * There were other consequences of using the partition ID hack - I
> > think I remember it turning off the apic for msdos mode.
> >
> > Your problems may be different, but mine were caused by a BIOS
> > whitelist of MBR partition id's.  What a stupid problem.  On that
> > motherboard I ended up taking the path of least resistance and using
> > the PS/2 adapter plug on the keyboard.
>
> Peter,
>
> very interesting what you've found. That reminds me on some
> investigations I did as I was hunting USB boot device problems.
>
> Some BIOSes do not check the partition (slice) ID but are looking for a
> file system magic. If a FAT filesystem is detected, the BIOS does some
> stupid things (like ignoring the active partition flag and booting the
> FAT slice no matter what you've flagged active). Just an example and
> off-topic to Andriy's keyboard problem.
>
> But when combining that with your findings, it may still be a thing to
> check for... ;)

Since you folks in this thread have some pretty good experience with
BIOS behaviour and bootloader/filesystem stuff, could I ask that someone
take a look at something I posted at over on -fs?  I'm out of ideas at
this point.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2008-November/005317.html

Danke!