Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:06:20 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Bob Walker <rww@safllc.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Experience

You are correct that FreeBSD is closer with roots to UNIX.

You would have done better to post here first and get some pointers on
installation.  The basic install is usually easy on supported hardware.  X
and and GUI like gnome, kde, etc are NOT part of the OS.  Unlike other OS's
there is no GUI tied to FreeBSD.  So most X window managers will work.  But
you should have done a little more research on X and whether your hardware
is supported.

A couple of the best parts of FreeBSD is the rich ports collection, support
for even running the OS on "dated" hardware, and the flexibility of the OS.

         -Derek