Date:      07 Apr 2005 18:05:11 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: beastie 5.X boot menu

<bob@a1poweruser.com> writes:

> The boot menu has changed between 4.x and 5.x releases. I have
> searched the handbook and can not find any written documentation
> about the new beastie boot options, what they are and when each one
> is intended to be used. I see a lot of posts about the beastie
> figure but nothing about what the options mean.  If it's written
> somewhere can someone point me to it and if not can I get an
> explanation?

Seriously?

Well, let's see.

ACPI:  see "man acpi" for a start.
Safe Mode: configures the system to avoid all possible hardware
    compatibility problems, at a severe cost in performance.
single user mode: see the Handbook.
verbose logging: many informational messages will be logged (by the
    kernel) to the console in the process of booting.
Escape to loader prompt:  see "man loader".
USB keyboard: take your computer to your nearest computer store and
    ask them whether you have a USB keyboard or not.

Generally, "default" will be the right answer unless you know you need
something else.

Good luck.